- Introduction to the species – see BTO, RSPB and SRSG websites
- Breeding distribution – see Bird Atlas
- Protection designations – Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (protected by special penalties at all times)
- National survey years – 1995-97
- Monitoring method – see Raptors: A Field Guide for Surveys and Monitoring
Annual monitoring data
Please click on the links below to access summary data. These summaries are based on SRMS regions. Descriptions of some of the main headings reported against are provided here.
2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
National and regional trends
Our latest analysis of SRMS Barn Owl data for the period 2009-2018 produced no national trends in breeding number or productivity. Trends were produced for five of the eight SRMS regions and for six of the 20 NHZ regions for which the SRMS holds Barn Owl records.
Please see below for a more detailed account for this species. To find out more about the trends analysis and the various products we have been able to produce please visit the Trends pages.Barn Owl trends 2009-2018
Local Barn Owl studies & projects
|Name||Period||Main observer||Other observers||Organisation|